Test Wind Speed with Vaavud and the firefly™
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Learning time: 10-30 minutes
- Estimated materials cost: $59
- Grade range: K-8th grade
- Plug the Vaavud Meter into your smartphone and download the app from your applications manager. The Vaavud works with the following devices: iPhone 4, 4S, 5, 5C, 5S, 6, and 6Plus, iPad 2, 3rd, 4th generation, Mini, and Air, Samsung Galaxy S5, S4, S3, and HTC One, Google Nexus 4 and 5, Droid RAZR
- When you start a test, the Vaavud meter will automatically begin reading the wind speed. For best results, hold your phone straight up so the Vaavud is perpendicular to the wind, like its "catching" it.
- Test several locations. Try high up locations, lower locations, near strudctures, and out in the open. The Vaavud app can measure wind speed and map locations, but we suggest writing down wind speeds in locations on your own.
- Once you have tested at multiple locations, it's time to use the firefly™. Place your firefly in the windiest place. It should easily light up!
Try making your own WindWheel for the firefly to do this activity. The WindWheel instructions are on page 8 of the firefly Activity Guide.